One of the most common emails we get is concerns wear on the bottom of a palm. A simple way to make your palms last is to make a fist when Pushing Up from the Turf.
Let's Cover a few Palm Basics:
- Latex Palms Naturally will show wear from use!
- This is a GOOD Thing if the wear is in the proper places, as the latex needs to be soft enough to arrest the spin of the ball.
- DAMPEN Palms Before Each and Every Use. Keep a water bottle with you in net to Hydrate You and Hydrate your Palms!
- Damp Palms lessen wear and activate the palms to increase stickiness.
- The Average Serious keeper uses 3-5 pairs per year and rotates their gloves! (the average MLS Pro Keeper uses 30-40 Pairs per year!).
Now that we have a few basics out of the way lets discuss the BAD Palm Wear.
- No Matter how durable a palm of a glove is, its still Latex and needs to be soft enough to help you catch.
- While many gloves are Turf Approved, they cannot withstand the impact of a 150-200lb person moving at 10mph and using the gloves as Brakes.
- Part of having good technique is understanding how to Protect your palms and make them last.
- MAKE A FIST when you get up off the turf, you would rather wear happen on the back of the Glove than the palm.
- Turf Wear marks on the bottom of your palms or chunks coming out are usually from using the gloves as Brakes or to Push Up on!
- It will take time to change your technique - but keep practicing using your fist to push up off the ground..... your gloves will last longer!